Living History of Bruce Beach

From Bruce Beach Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

South Bruce Beach Cottagers Association - History

History

Known locally first as The Dunes and now as Area 1, this neighbourhood really started to take shape in the early 1950s, when Pearl and Elizabeth Henderson purchased more than 50 acres from Gordon Emmerton. The Henderson subdivision (Plan #483) was officially registered in 1955, when the sisters set about dividing the property into 43 lots and building a road. They sold the lakefront lots for $1,000 and the back ones for $800 and donated two lots for a park.

In the spring of 1966, a group of these cottagers, on what was then a lightly populated area, got together to discuss the formation of a group to buy the remaining property for greenbelt purposes with a view to keeping this portion of the beach the quiet resort area the Henderson sisters had in mind. They subsequently formed the South Bruce Beach Association.

South Bruce Beach Cottage Association was incorporated on July 26, 2006 under the Province of Ontario’s Corporation Act. The name was determined by the province based on the cottagers’ geographic and historic location on Bruce Beach.

Historic Events

June 10, 2011
25-30 per cent of the pine plantation in the Greenbelt property Blandford Woods was cut by the Moggie Valley Timber Company under the supervision of the Saugeen Valley Conservation Authority.
March 21, 2011
By a unanimous vote, the SBBCA named its Greenbelt property Blandford Woods to recognize Archie Blandford’s forward-thinking actions in securing the land.
2009
South Bruce Beach Cottage Association was honoured with a Green Cottager Award by Cottage Life Magazine.
2006
South Bruce Beach Cottage Association was incorporated.
1981
From James Farrell, the association purchased the old road allowance adjoining their greenbelt property.
1976
12,000 pine trees, including 5,000 red pines and 1,500 white pines are planted on the association’s greenbelt property.
1975
The association entered into an agreement with the Ministry of Natural Resources for a planned program of reforestation on the greenbelt property.
1969
The estate of Elizabeth Henderson conveyed one lot to be used as a roadway access to the greenbelt property.
1968
From the Elizabeth Henderson estate the association purchased 30 acres of ecologically sensitive sand dunes to ac t as a greenbelt. Today, the land is a mature forested area providing a vibrant recreational and ecological space for members.
1967
At the first annual meeting, the association elected Gord Walls as president and Archie Blandford as secretary-treasurer. A position Archie held for 39 years until 2006.
1966
Group of cottagers bought three lots from the Elizabeth Henderson estate for a South Bruce Beach tennis club open on a membership basis.
1955
Land for Pearl Elizabeth Memorial Park donated by the Henderson sisters to Huron Township.

Past Presidents

2008-2010
Mary Wilkinson
2006-2008
Chris Meyer
2004-2006
Jane Robinson
2002-2004
Dave Gibson
2000-2002
Barb MacDonald
1998-2000
Bill Murphy
1996-1998
Nan Grant
1994-1996
Barb Strain
1992-1994
Claude Holdermeyer
1991-1992
Lyn Wright
1989-1991
Carm Whitmore
1987-1989
Beth Brown
1985-1987
Bill Henderson
1983-1985
Keith MacDonald
1982-1983
Al Warrick
1980-1982
Dan Marshall
1978-1980
Tom Plant
1976-1978
Pat MacFarlane
1974-1976
Ross Fuller
1972-1974
George Whetstone
1971-1972
Carm Whitmore
1967-1971
Gord Walls